5.22.2006

Today, a friend had a Mastectomy

My very good friend has been in surgery today, to remove a breast that has cancer. The surgery took almost four hours, when they had earlier predicted it would take two. It's very hard to concentrate on much else when your girlfriend is getting a breast removed.

This buddy has fearlessly dealt with eight rounds of chemo -- and, in a very short timeframe from the conclusion of that phase, was scheduled for today's surgery. Her outlook has been nothing short of amazing. I'm sure, any woman reading this, can't help but for one moment put themselves in her shoes. I'm not sure I would have been as graceful and positive after the news of my diagnosis and throughout the treatments as she has been.

The wonderful news of the day is... when they were performing the breast removal, it turns out that she was a candidate for a breast implant... so, as of right now, I understand that they were able to replace the breast they removed with a fake one. What a wonderful thing that is. Previously, we were under the impression that it would be months before she might be a eligible for reconstruction. I'm really scared right now, but also really excited that the surgery went as well as the phone calls from her Mom seem to report.

Please say a quick prayer for my buddy >> and all the other People >> especially today the Women who are 1st on my mind >> those who've had to deal with the loss of a breast or other parts due to cancer. My friend is very young, so, it's particularly shocking to understand her battle with this disease at her young age.

Organizations who donate to cancer research and work for a cure include:
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp
http://www.revlonrunwalk.com/
http://www.aacr.org/