6.28.2007

Los Angeles & Liz Oakes
Celebrating 10 Years Together
So, last night it occurred to me that this month is my 10-year anniversary in Los Angeles! Then, that got me thinking about what all has gone on in the last 10-years... This kept me up for awhile since there is so much to remember! Yet, I should add, the time has simply FLOWN-BY... (I think time speeds up as you get older...)

Here are some stats and interesting past-adventures that came to mind:

Where have I lived?
+Just shy of 5-years in Santa Monica at 220 Bay Street with Matt Cooper, a buddy I graduated from Baylor U with. Matt's married now!
+Two years in Marina del Rey (Mariners Village), solo, where I met Amy Gonzales Lombardi, who was my neighbor there and became a long-lasting-dear friend.
+and, the last 3-yrs in Playa del Rey (Kings Beach!)

I've traveled a bit... places including all over Texas & California... Virginia, Louisiana, Connecticut, New York, Arizona, New Hampshire, Colorado, Nevada, Hawaii, Washington, D.C., Mexico, Greece & Thailand.

I've got more family!! My father re-married a woman named Chris and they moved from Colorado to Texas. My bro, Matt, married Stina the first year I lived here in LA, and now they have two munchkins -- Merete & Finn! One of the highlights of my time here was having Matt & Stina live in Marina del Rey when I was there, at the same time they were pregnant and finally delivered baby #1 in Santa Monica, Miss Merete! I was even there, delivering Merete in the hospital room! And, I don't remember the year exactly, maybe in about 2003, my youngest bro, Jesse, moved out here to CA too. He now lives only about an hour from me. It's really great having family nearby.

Rock-climbing, surfing... new sports I've attempted (but could never say I've mastered). I've done some modeling here & there (years ago now), but highlights include two visits to the Playboy mansion to model leather wears (fully covered, of course, see: snap-at-top), and an appearance on Entertainment Tonight modeling Grammy wears.

Dating shows... yep, done that. Change of Heart & Blind Date... I think, circa 1999 & 2000. Other entertainment stuff that went nowhere include being in the last 50 girls to be interviewed for "The Bachelor: Paris" edition (thanking my lucky stars on not getting that gig). And, an Ironman documentary that never was picked up called, "Pushing the Limits".

I published a magazine called "U Know Magazine" for several years with my good buddy Gina Nemo. She was married at the time, and now has two munchkins herself. She is moving to England this month for about a year...

After a hiatus from multisport since '95-'96, and several marathons that trounced my knees, I found & joined the LA Tri Club in 2003. The club, and the wonderful new friends I made there, changed my life significantly in this city. Now, I occupy a good chunk of my time focusing on my health and fitness and encouraging others to do the same. (Not to mention the trips & parties and adventures I have with this extended family)....

Made many, many friends, dated many fellas... lost friends, lost fellas... Been to many weddings, been introduced to many new babies and seen two close girlfriends through breast cancer. But, all-in-all, LA has been very good to me. I love it here. Nothing like living in such an expanse of a city, next to the beautiful ocean, flanked by majestic mountains. Nothing like living around people who are open to many ideas and ways of life and living. Living in LA, to me, is living a life full of adventure.