9.11.2006

Mammoth Mountain :: 5th Annual Mountain Biking Trip

One of the things I look the most forward to every summer is my late summer trip to Mammoth Mountain for some downhill riding with friends. This year, we had ten in our group. Jeanette and I were lucky enough to take Friday off so we left town Thursday night. The moon was full and bright during our drive, and it lit the mountains and sky up with so much light! It was really beautiful.
Friday morning, Jeanette and I took a hike to Devil's Postpile Monument (top photo). Amazing place! From there, we hiked by the John Muir Wilderness and into the Ansel Adams Wilderness and Rainbow Falls. The weather we had over the weekend could not have been better. Lower 50s at night and clear and mid 70s during the days. Perfect for hiking and mountain biking. Above is the group at the top of Mammoth Moutain, ready for our first run down.
That night, the whole crew came in... Paul, Stephanie, Seth, Damian & his brother Tyler, Tom, Chris and Christian. We were all looking forward to Saturday on the mountain... When Sat. morning rolled around, Paul and Seth made a mean breakfast to give us all strength for the day ahead and we headed out. The group shot on top of the mountain includes: Damian, Chris, Tom, Tyler, Steph, me, Seth, Jeanette & Paul...
Steph and I took the awards for the most banged up. I went down at the end of our first run, on a black diamond trail called Shock Treatment. I should have been wearing protective gear on that section... but, it was pretty awesome to go flying thru the air like I did... although some of this rash I could do without... I basically hit on my right side, from my arm (the worst) to my legs.
The days exertions led to much celebration in the evening. Photo above is Paul, me & Tom. Again, the men stepped up to the plate and created an amazing dinner for the group. Thank you Paul, Seth, Chris and whoever else helped!! Us gals went down to The Village during the dinner prep. (below: me, Stephanie & Jeanette).
What an amazing trip. Happy Birthday to you Damian! Tyler, I'm glad the timing worked out so you could come too. Looking forward to next year already! (I'll wear long sleeves)... (photo below is Paul playing in Rainbow Falls)