9.06.2006

Labor Day Weekend >> D.C.
I spend the long Labor Day weekend in Washington, D.C. visiting my brother and his growing family. Hurricane Eduardo was threatening to crash into us... bringing rain and wreaking havoc when I arrived -- but, he mainly stayed away while I was there. Above are Matt w/baby Finn; and below is sweet Merete.
Little Master FINN was born on July 12th, making him only 8-weeks old in these photos. He is a wonderful little fellow. When he's "up" he makes many expressions... changing from smiles to a furrowed brow, to looking perplexed, to just looking very hard at you/staring... It's hard to take a great shot of him though, because when the camera light comes on, he is entranced.
Merete is a gem. She is just the apple of my eye. She turned FOUR at the end of August, and is just a little delight. Merete is full of spunk, but she's respectful and smart and I just love her. For her birthday, my brother Matt bought a DDR system -- that's Dance Dance Revolution to those of you not in-the-know. We had several dance-offs while I was there. Matt is curiously good at this game...
Stina, above at our Sunday breakfast, is a wonderful Mom to these two little ones... too bad she can't seem to get more than a few hours sleep at the moment. Finn only sleeps a max of 3-hours, if we're lucky. I guess that's the nature of things!
Highlights of the trip included meeting my new #1 nephew, of course! As well as visiting with Matt & Stina's friends for a Labor Day BBQ on Saturday night; and another set of friends for a big breakfast on Sunday morning. The photo above is of Merete, giving me a pose. She just got all this great pink soccer gear (shin guards and soccer ball)... her first game is this weekend. I'm so sorry I'll be missing it! The photo below is of her on her Dad's shoulders, giving me the "George Face" that Curious George is making on the Curious George band-aids she has. How cute is she??!! (and isn't my brother handsome??!)

Matt and I also took Merete for a run in the rain at the mall. She was pushed in a stroller while Matt and I ran along in the drizzle. The drizzle turned to hard core rain when we were at the Washington Monument... and tourists gave us dirty looks as Merete cowered under a dishcloth in the running stroller. We had a lot of fun though!

Monday, Matt took Merete and I for a beautiful hike along the Potomac River, in Maryland (I think). It was clear, and really beautiful. Above, is a snap of Merete from the hike... and, The river was very muddy from the recent rain, as you can see in the photo of us, below.
When I left on Monday night, I was very sad. It's hard to leave them there in DC. I love to visit my family far away, but leaving is always hard... especially now with the kids... they're just so wonderful. So, hopefully I see them again before too long... I'm really wanting them to come to LA of course!