4.05.2008

LA Tri Club Spring Training Camp at Lake San Antonio
aka WILDFLOWER. 032708-033008.
44 clubbers headed 5-hours North last Thursday for a weekend of focusing on training, fitness and recovery. The camp was my brain-child, the idea hatched when I signed up for HONU 70.3 in May, and knowing that the best way for me to get my training in, is to remove typical distractions around home.
As I drove from cabin to cabin to stock them with a few essentials before the clubbers arrived, I was greeted by many deer and squirrels. The area around the lake is beautiful and thriving from all the rain we've had. Everything was green and flowering. It's such a magical place to me.
Miss Stella Tong, here, played CHEF for the weekend. She did an AMAZING job cooking breakfast-lunch and dinner for the whole lot of 44 who came into the staff cabin for meal times. Each meal time was bonding and refueling, talking about the drive up, the latest workout, and our race goals.
The first morning the crew headed out for a swim or a run. Most swam. TriAtheltix coaches, Ian Murray, Jamie Silber & Konrad Riberio all led swims at various levels. The lake was cold, but thankfully, it had warmed up since the reported 51 a few weeks before.
TriAthletix.com (LA Tri Club's official coaching team), also led a Transition Clinic. Everyone came out to play at Transitions for awhile - absorbing tips to shave off a few seconds and minutes.
Saturday morning the entire group gathered before we cycled off for the 56-mile hilly offering. Peter Brantley even did it twice (in the middle of training for Ironman). Everyone was super excited to get out there. I wish this photo were better, but there were too many people and all those bikes.... ; )
Part of the leader pack, stopping for some sag support. Brian Morel, Jamie Silber, Lawrence Fong & Michael Murphy.
A group of LATC TriCHICKS at sag support. My prius, of course, served the group well! Check out how lovely our weather was??!! So beautiful -- perfect for the ride.
Saturday nite, the last night at Camp, we went around and most everyone in the group had a chance to stand up and share something personal about themselves. It was a really nice touch, and we got to know so many fun (and scary, and interesting, and silly), things about each other.
This is Kristen, telling her personal story (sorry, what goes to LATC Camp, stays at LATC Camp)... but, I wanted to include her here to share that she's my little YAS project. Kimberly Fowler of YAS put us together because Kristen's personal goal for this year is to become a Triathlete and complete Wildflower... she's been working out with me and my regular circle, and she's such a joy to be around. I'm so happy she's joined our clan!!
One thing I have yet to add is, after all of the planning and excitement I felt putting the Camp together, I actually got sick as a dog, and was not able to workout myself while there! It's tragic, isn't it??!! But, I guess it's a blessing in a way too, because I was able to take lots of photos, answer countless questions, and really devote myself to the campers, which was extremely gratifying. Additionally, I had a BIG FIRST at Camp: I taught two yoga classes to the campers! It was a milestone for me... and, so I came home with nothing but smiles. I can't wait to plan another.
See you at WILDFLOWER.