8.07.2006

Yosemite :: Half Dome
Aug. 3-6, 2006, 41 old and new friends made their way to Yosemite for the 14th Annual Yosemite camping weekend. I was along for the ride, my first trip to Yosemite and my first trip up Half Dome.
The most important thing to say about this trip is, there was not a moment or a piece of scenery that I did not wish I could capture. Every time I turned around on the hike, the view was more outstanding than the last. Check out the photos above >> this amazing waterfall that you climb stairs beside for several stories. The wind and sun create beautiful rainbows which you see from so many angles.
Half Dome is an 8.2 mile hike from the trail head, to the top. It's pretty darn strenuous, mostly when you add up the mileage going out and then back... and add in all those stairs and steep climbs, it left me feeling like I'd just done a marathon. I'm sure we did 17+ miles of hiking.
When you reach the top, you use more of your upper body to pull yourself up the cables to the top. It's pretty wild... sitting there, flapping in the breeze on the side of this gigantic rock... If you're afraid of heights, this is not the spot for you to explore.
Pic above is us on the cables... pretty scary if you let yourself "go there"...
Like I said, you can't be afraid of heights and make it up here! Yikes! Below, a pic of me after we got to the area just in front of the cables... soooo tired. Would have been happy to just sleep here! I was honestly so tired, I can remember not wanting to smile for this photo! (and, don't forget, we still have to walk home!)...
DAY 2: The whole crew headed to a short hike which took us to an amazing water fall and swimming hole area. The kids were able to join us on this hike. Of the 41 people on the camping trip, we had one 6-month old and several kids under the age of 6. This served as our shower for the day. It was pretty darn chilly water -- but it was tolerable with the warm sun and after the hike... When we got back to camp after being swimming all day, we were greeted by cold beer, delicious wine and the smell of fresh veggies grilling and marinated steak and chicken hitting the grill. After dinner, a mean game of charades with the stakes being dinner clean up, trash duty and food put-away in the bear lockers ensued. My challenges were "Sesame Street" and "Oops I did it again" by Britney Spears. My team took 2 of the 3 games, and had to put the food in the bear lockers. The whole night was great fun! Below is a pic of me and the man voted least likely to want me on his lap!
DAY 3: I woke up pretty late after the night of revelry. We ate leftovers... and then started to pack up camp. The group included buddies from SF as well as LA, so various plans were made to hang out in different parts of the park on this day, which were in the direction of home. I went to Curry Village for a shower and lunch before hitting the road for the 5-hr drive.

The weekend was amazing and memorable. Cass, your an amazing coordinator! Robyn, thanks for grabbing the reservations! Everyone... Thank you for sharing the annual traditions with this "One Beader".