7.10.2006

PONIES, DIAMONDS and a little BIKE RUSH

Weekend update::::: I had a blast at Hollywood Park on Friday... friends from LA Tri Club gathered along with some non-tri buddies to bet on the ponies and take in the Super Diamond show (Neil Diamond cover band). What a time! I won about $25 (but it's hard to remember after all the $1 brew I consumed).
To be honest, I thought Hollywood Park would be a little sketchy (I'd never been before)... but, as it turned out, I plan on going again, and highly recommend it! Hanging out in the Jack Daniels bar section and taking in the concert was a great way to spend the evening, and there was plenty of eye-candy for girls & guys alike -- not to mention it's totally cheap! Like I said, I won about $25, but I paid out $20 to win that, so call it even + a few beers & $1 hot dogs. A cheap and fun night.

Pictured on left: Tom Mullen, Heather Ankeny & Jon Grogan; below are Travis Burrell with me. Right: Dani Paxson and her sister Heidi Llovet; Kate & Jimmy Freeman; Jeanette Dvorak and Kelly.

So, Saturday, I was able to sleep in (for ONCE, thank goodness) since I had plans to visit the Velodrome in the afternoon. I attended an LA Tri Club clinic for velodrome newbies. Rodger Young took us through the what, why and how's of the velodrome... then, we took to the wood. (like a track is for runners, but this is for cyclists). The photo, below, is NOT US at the clinic, but is what it looks like when a pack rides, you can kinda tell the angle they're riding at....

WHAT AN AMAZING RUSH it is to ride on this track! At first you take off where you ride on the even-surface, but as you build some speed, you can climb up higher on the track & basically the thing spins you around like a top... you're on a bike with no breaks, and you can't stop pedaling... and the surface you're riding on varies in degrees to what seems like almost 90-degrees at the top. You think you'll slide right off, but you just stay glued to the surface and keep pedaling for dear life... it's a total rush. The photo below is the crew at the Saturday clinic. Great fun!

http://www.hollywoodpark.com/
http://www.superdiamond.com/

http://www.lavelodrome.org/