4.03.2006


JOSHUA TREE: I went rock climbing for the first time over the weekend. Awesome. I can't wait to go again! Pictured above, Damian, Evan, Chris, Clara & then Mike. Below them is the whole group at the campsite and then having lunch at the cars.

I could not have gone anywhere if it were not for these guys who guided Clara and me through our first real rock climbing experience. THANK YOU!! I had so much fun with you. You are total studs for mastering this scary, challenging, fun and exciting sport!

Here, you will see a beautiful Joshua Tree, and the "pro" aka Protection -- that kept us safe on the first climbs (Day 1: a 5.6 was first, followed by a 5.7). Chris did all the trad climbing (traditional climbing) and played guide on this trip. Thanks for getting me out there Chris!

Here I am with Evan, who was showing me how to tie a proper climbing knot. And, to the right, you see me on the rock for the first time. YES, I did fall.... but, I got right back up there. Since leaving the park, I've imagined climbing more aggressively in the future & I'm stoked to try it again sometime soon!

whew. I'm sore all over my back & I left some skin on the rock. They say, first timers have a tendency to be totally unrelaxed on the rock, tensing all their muscles. I'm sure I did that >> my back is even sore >> and my hands are a little tender.

Day 2: wind. cold. Where is our sun? BUT.... I climbed a 5.8 today! This was HUGE for me. I was soooooo super scared. This English fellow was standing at the top of the next rock telling me to "trust your rubber" >> which was of course what all my buddies were telling me, but I was somehow better able to take his coaching from the top of the climb there. I already forgot the term for this type of climbing... but basically, it's where you climb undulations in the rock, rather than deeper holds >> you kinda scurry up the rock in your "sticky shoes". Crazy!!


Joshua Tree was GREAT! We hung out with the coolest people >> Mitch & crew.... I can't wait for our sky diving trip! YES, we'll have to plan one this year. Maybe I'll get into these adrenaline sports after all... hummmm...