10.09.2006

RHODES


I love Rhodes!! That plane ride here was nuts....

As I arrived, it looked like Cancun (from the plane) — great big resort hotels with thousands of room line the beach... But, then I entered Old Town. The town is ancient/midevil, and surrounded by a big wall. It’s all build in brick, and so very narrow, only a few cars with special permits are allowed to drive in (and who would want to drive here?)... I totally lucked out and got an amazing little hotel (the Andreas) near the St. John’s gate along the back wall. The guests and hotel management are wonderful and welcoming. On arrival, they offer you a welcome drink! Rhodes is also very green, outside of Old Town. It seems to have some of the best from many worlds (old and new offerings). I can't wait to get up tomorrow and explore.

____

This morning I woke up and ate a wonderful breakfast with the company of Patrick, the hotel manager. He is a professor for 5 months of the year in Sweden, and then comes here for 7 months to run the hotel. A wonderful man. He listed the gems of the area for me since I am here too short a time—and off I went.
The statue of Aphrodite, "Marine Venus" is not to be missed. I first explored the museum, then walked around this beautiful medieval / gothic city. The stone walkways are so charming, and often they are shrouded by vines, morning glories, etc. There are apartments, hotels, cafes, shops, museums, lining each corridor.

I headed out of the city walls and caught a taxi to Kallithéas, and from there headed down to Oasis beach. This spot was stolen from heaven -- rocky and sandy, clear/crisp water... Snorkeling/sunbathing and friendly cantinas line the three beaches that surround.
Tonight I have a date with a group of ladies from my hotel, who are here from San Francisco. They've been here two weeks, and know the lay-of-the-land.
What wonderful company my new friends were! I had a great dinner while listening to live music at Besara with Amy, Rose, Barbara, Nancy and Johnny. It was wonderful to meet you all!

____

On the flight home from Athens, Tara and I met Beat, a Swiss Air pilot who actually would be flying our plane from Geneva to JFK. He invited us into the cockpit when we were over the Atlantic. It was really Amazing!! Thank you Beat!!


Photos from Rhodes:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=omz9rml.cd3mjbu5&x=0&y=-lpn2kh